Grilled Chipotle Grouper Steaks
Gag Grouper is one of the most succulent tasting fish along the entire Alabama Gulf Coast. Most everyone that fishes on charter boats in Orange Beach always wants Gag Grouper. If you want grouper, the best time to fish for them is during the Fall, Winter and Spring months. However, the season is closed during the last part of Winter and reopens toward the end of March. Anyway, if you catch a Gag Grouper, have your deckhand or mate cut the grouper into steaks instead of using a filet knife.
This recipe serves 6 adults and takes about 30 to 35 minutes prep time.
- 1/2 cup regular Olive Oil.
- 2 medium sweet onions chopped (flat onions are sweeter)
- 6 cloves of fresh garlic chopped fine
- 3 teaspoons of fresh peeled and grated Ginger. subsitute 1 tsp dried.
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle pepper powder
- Juice of 2 Limes squeezed
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt to taste
- 6 Grouper Steaks cut 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches
Place all ingredients except the grouper into a food processor and chop until they are smooth. Pour mixture over the Grouper Steaks and marinate for 20 to 30 minutes or until grill reaches 400 degrees. Place Grouper steaks on the grill and close lid. Wait 4 to 5 minutes and open grill. Baste the Grouper steaks with liquid and then turn over. Baste the cooked side again. Close lid and cook another 4 or 5 minutes. Open lid and check for doneness. Stick the filet in the thickest part with a knife and see if the inside is opaque. If flaky and most, remove and serve with your favorite potato dish or vegetable. You might consider grilling some squash or eggplant with this dish?